GAP CREATIVES DATABASE
Back in the day, Globe Art Point’s online database of creatives was called Artists’ Database. In its early stages (2018-2020), it consisted of 18 profiles from which some were missing images or content. The database was fairly hard to join as it was not accepting professionals who did not have a specific art education or whose profession was other than “artists” meaning cultural workers, educators or researchers did not have a chance to enter.
Based on the needs of our community, the current G.A.P Board (2021-2023) decided to implement the following changes to the database:
1. Artists’ Database was renamed to GAP Creatives Database.
2. Special benefits were created for members of the database.
3. The requirements for joining the database changed as having a degree in art does not make anyone a professional. Instead, the focus shifted to people’s experience, passion and drive for building their careers in Finland.
4. Cultural producers, workers, educators, researchers or entrepreneurs who were previously excluded were encouraged to join the online database.
5. The previously rejected applicants who were disqualified due to their “lack of expertise” or “inadequate education” were invited to join in.
6. The submission periods for our database increased from 2x per year to 4x per year.
7. A private GAP CREATIVES DATABASE Facebook group was created for members of the database to communicate and share their knowledge.
8. Exclusive networking events were introduced for members of the database (4x per year).
9. Exclusive projects were produced for members of our database such as GAP WINDOW.
10. Certain open calls were only sent to members of GAP Creatives Database like for example; Open Call for performers at GAP ART SUMMIT, Open Call for participants for Democracy Defence Dialogue etc.
11. When searching for facilitators of our events, performers or speakers, we started selecting only professionals from our Creatives Database.
12. When being contacted by external agencies to propose artists and creators with specific skills, we started selecting only professionals from our Creatives Database.
13. Globe Art Point started actively sharing news, updates and activities of members of the database on social media and in its monthly newsletter.
Today, our database houses 175 profiles of creatives from various fields! Would you like to join our Creatives Database? Please submit the form below if you’re a professional artist, cultural producer, educator, writer or other professional in the field of art and culture with a diverse background working and residing in Finland.
WHAT IS GAP CREATIVES DATABASE?
GAP Creatives Database has been created to support, highlight and empower underrepresented art and culture professionals with diverse backgrounds who work and reside in Finland.
It is an open archive featuring profiles of creatives from various disciplines including those who do not tend to be celebrated in traditional and mainstream media also taking in consideration professional cultural producers, educators and entrepreneurs.
The database features profiles of professional creatives with diverse backgrounds who have the experience working within the multicultural environments, who have the perspective of working within diverse communities or are Finnish returnees who have lost their earlier networks and prefer to be part of a more multicultural community.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR JOINING OUR DATABASE
Professional creatives applying for our database should fall under one of the following categories:
⇒ You are a foreign-born professional based in Finland
⇒ You are a Finland-raised professional with a diverse background based in Finland
⇒ You are a Finnish returnee who was studying or working in the field of art and culture abroad
When filling in the online form, please provide a proof that you have been producing art, culture or teaching on a professional level by submitting either one of the following:
⇒ professional website
⇒ social media channels
⇒ and/or any online platform where you sell, promote or showcase your work (in case of insufficient information, you may be contacted to additionally provide your cv or portfolio).
Please note, individuals applying for our database must reside in Finland. In case you live between Finland and other country, part of your creative work must be conducted in Finland.
BECOMING A MEMBER WILL BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
Members of our database and their work will be promoted on our social media channels.
Globe Art Point is here to help you disseminate information about your activities, creative productions, news and open calls. Your projects do not have to be organised in collaboration with our association, all we ask is that you provide us with promotional material (text, image, web link). Please remember our office language is English, however, any other additional languages are welcomed.
Exclusive networking events for members of our database are organised four times per year (March, June, September, December).
A private FB group has been created for our members to enable them to share their news, find new partners, seek information or promote their products and activities amongst each other.
Members of our database are informed directly (GAP Creatives Database Info Mail) about our upcoming events and happenings as soon as they get released publicly. This means that our members can learn about our news without having to browse the internet.
⇒ New possibilities
Some of our open calls and programmes are open exclusively to members of GAP Creatives Database.
Members of our database also get priority when searching for facilitators and partners for our projects and events. We also distribute the list of our creatives to various ministries, our member associations or anyone who is in need of a specifically skilled art and culture professional for their projects.
All of our partners and freelance collaborators invited to participate in our events are paid for their work. G.A.P’s rates on expert work 2022 can be found here.
Globe Art Point is open to project proposals for events and activities that could be organised in collaboration with our members. Please note that your proposals must support our mission. In cooperation with us, the members of our database can organise and host their events, classes or workshops in our premises, free of charge (conditions apply for commercial activities).
Please note Globe Art Point does not produce art per se. Our main activity is advocacy and therefore, our events should also be of educational character.
⇒ Safe space environment
The members of our database can reserve our facilities, free of charge, for private meetings, study sessions or whenever in need of space (booking in advance is a must).
Application and membersip of our database is free of charge and once accepted, it is permanent up until you decide to leave on your own account (no explanations necessary).
The application period runs quarterly; in February, May, August and November.
The application periods are open for one month at a time. Evaluation of the applications and the final decisions are made by the G.A.P board and also take about one month.
The individuals selected to join our database will be notified by email after their application is accepted and their profile added to the database. New members will be then announced publicly and their profiles featured individually on our social media channels, day-by-day.
For more information please contact our Project Manager Alex Kollerová at alex.kollerova(at)globeartpoint.fi.
SIGN UP FOR GAP CREATIVES DATABASE