G.A.P’s member association Catalysti announces a Open Call for a curator – Catalysti exhibition in Cable Factory in Autumn 2020
Catalysti Association of Transcultural Artists ry will organise a group exhibition in Cable Factory, Valssaamo, Helsinki, on 28.9.-14.10.2020, in coordination with Globe Art Point ry. The art exhibition is part of the two years program “Diversity in Art: Art in Diversity 2020”, supported by Kone Foundation.
Catalysti members have selected the exhibition’s theme to be Power.
“Power is the ability to do things.” – Doreen Massey
“Power exists through many relations. These can be political, financial, cultural and so on. Power can be coercive when distributed unequally which may manifest itself through injustice and inequality. However, the equal distribution of power is about sharing ideas and can lead to real progress in overcoming many of the issues that the world faces today” (David Flood).
The curator will be free to elaborate on the theme and develop it according to their own artistic vision.
- professional experience in curating art exhibitions, good knowledge of the transcultural and Finnish art fields.
- proven ability in team work, to relate to the artists, organise and coordinate multi-layered projects.
- language skills: English (fluent), Finnish (beneficial, not compulsory).
- to create a strong concept, elaborating and developing the theme mentioned above
- selecting a pool of 10-12 artists from Catalysti association (see www.catalysti.fi/artists), through the website and portfolios; work in coordination with the association’s exhibition working group; be present in Cable Factory for a certain period of the exhibition, to present the artists to the art field professionals and to the public
- the working months will be April-June (max 15 hours per week) and August-October 2020 (possibly more hours, to be negotiated).
- the selection committee will include Catalysti exhibition working group, as well as experts from G.A.P and Suomen Taiteilijaseura. The committee will select curator candidates to be interviewed in March 2020.
- The interviews will take place in Globe Art Point (Malminkatu 5, Helsinki) on 5th March at 5-8 pm, and (depending on the number of candidates) in Caisa Cultural Centre (Kaikukatu 4, Helsinki) on 10th March at 5-8 pm.
The curator will be paid a fee, with funding from Kone Foundation.
Please send a draft of the concept, a motivation letter, a CV, and possibly a curator’s portfolio, to email@example.com before 25.2.2020 at 4 pm.